Become a Partner
Apply for Membership
Mid-Level and Senior Practitioners
Code of Professional Standards
Fake News Primer
International Declaration of Communication Professionals and Researchers for a Better World
Bill Rees Learning Centre
New Practitioner (1-5 years)
Mid-Level Practitioner (5-20 years)
Sr. Practitioner (20+ years)
CPRS Coffee Chats
Awards of Excellence
Major and Special Awards
Student Awards and Scholarships
This section contains listings of openings in firms, both full time and part time. The listings themselves have been submitted by companies who have placed them on the CPRS site for a fee.
Post a job
Back To Search Results
University of Alberta
University of Alberta
Competition No. - A100146175
Closing Date - Oct 15, 2021
Look, we know what you’re thinking. Creative Director for a University? You better believe it. We are embarking on a new era of marketing and brand story development at the University of Alberta and we need a creative director to help us get there. Are you passionate about creating great brand stories that will impact the world? Do you want to elevate the voices of the underrepresented that need to be heard? Do you want to collaborate with other creative and marketing pros who make it fun to come to work? Then read on. No seriously, read on or our HR team will never believe that we can hire a creative director for a University. See you at the interview.
Reporting to the Director, Digital & Creative, the Creative Director will optimize and enhance the University of Alberta’s global brand and further the mission of the university by building upon our inspired and compelling brand, supporting campaigns and creative works.
As a Creative Director, you will be the principal creative lead for ideating, designing, facilitating and overseeing the vision brought to life directing all phases of the creative work from concept development to production. In this role, you will deliver quality client service to your University partners and stakeholders, analyze complex problems and deliver insightful, creative solutions (yes, both can be true). You will also be expected to have excellent communication skills, integrate into new teams and rapidly establish relationships.
Here’s the big one… in partnership with the Director of Digital and Creative, you will work to help recruit and build a team of art directors, designers, copywriters, production artists, videographers, photographers, and digital team to produce solutions for go-to-market initiatives. The successful candidate must possess excellent leadership qualities with the ability to maximize the talents of their team.
In all facets of this role, the Creative Director endeavors to integrate and advance the University’s commitments to equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Responsibilities (aka the stuff):
• Leading the University of Alberta’s marketing creative strategy, defining the creative vision for the U of A brand and clearly communicating that vision to staff
• Working with creative staff to champion the brand for all internal and external programs
• Leading the creative process, developing strategy, and managing campaign execution
• Fostering a collaborative, agile and innovative environment
• Analyzing creative performance and using data to guide our overall strategy
• Providing creative thought leadership and continually identifying new opportunities to take creative performance to the next level
• Managing and supporting collective and individual talent within the team
• Developing the talents of staff and recognizing performance while also effectively identifying and coaching performance areas for improvement
• Working with the creative team to develop creative briefs and directional documentation
• Fostering cooperation, collaboration, and communication to create consensus and accomplish objectives
• Building productive and effective relationships with service partners and developing a network at all levels of the organization
Must haves (aka the really important stuff):
To be successful in this position, the you will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Undergraduate degree in marketing, journalism, advertising, communications or related area is required. A combination of experience and education may also be considered
• 10 or more years experience as a Creative Director or Senior level Creative role
• 7 or more years leading an in-house creative team or advertising agency, creating multi-medium ad campaigns and/or finding creative ways to express a company’s brand
• Demonstrated experience in managing and mentoring a team of creative staff with integrity, honesty and humility
• Expert knowledge of all steps required in the creative development process
• An understanding of agile marketing and agile creative development is considered an asset
• Proven ability to conceptualize and ideate across a broad range of media, in a variety of tones and voices
• Experience in video production (for online video, TV, etc.) and the ability to storyboard and develop concise scripts accordingly
• An authentic attitude geared towards positive, solutions-focused action that always comes from a place of respect and inclusion
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to inspire the creative team to give their best
• Proven experience with demand generation, direct response marketing and creating ad content for paid social (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
• Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities, both internal and client-facing.
• Strong ability to analyze data and turn findings into actionable strategies to further improve creative performance
• Advanced knowledge of production processes for a variety of media and knowledge of vendor requirements for a variety of products
• Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, networking and relationship building skills
• Proven ability to lead, mentor, coach and manage staff to meet organizational goals
In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package that can be viewed at Faculty & Staff Benefits . Annual salary will commensurate based on experience and qualifications.
How To Apply
Interested applicants may apply to: https://apptrkr.com/2514703
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Back To Search Results
Contact For This Position
University of Alberta
Edmonton AB T6G 2T4
Job Level & Type
Full Time Permanent Staff Position
Listing To Be Posted Until
October 24, 2021
Apply on company website