Advanced Writing & Editing
Important messages get printed, streamed, e-mailed and
Tweeted. Whether internal or external your audiences are reading, watching,
listening—talking back. Even the bosses have discovered the power of
storytelling! Your words, and how you present them, are more important than
During this morning session, you will learn:
- Follow the Rules of the Road. Embrace these writing
principles and spread them throughout your organization.
- Find good stories. Where are they? Hint: They're not sitting
on your desk or in your e-mail. We'll show you how to be the best reporter in
- Get your readers' attention. Take your best shot through
headlines that grab, leads that pull us in and quotes that convey an engaging
- Layer your online content. Summarize your story for the
skimmers and scanners, then let readers choose how deep they want to go.
- Package your print. Use all the tricks to craft a compelling
story and keep readers on the page, in publications, brochures and marketing
- Match words with sound and pictures. Enhance your audio,
video, images and infographics with tight and engaging narrative.
Brand Journalism for Communicators
Are you ready for brand journalism?
Brand journalism combines real reporting and lively
storytelling (that's the journalism), with your organization's experts and
experiences (that's the branding). A few organizations have figured out a new
way to tell their stories, using the tried-and-true methods of journalism to
engage their audiences and boost their competitive advantage.
In this session, Mark Ragan will share the principles of
brand journalism and show you how you can apply them to your own organization.
You'll leave this afternoon session knowing how to:
- Write and manage content that appeals to today's hectic
- Organize your communication strategy around a standard
- Use original and curated content to be the leading publisher
in your niche
- Create content that is so useful that people will be
compelled to share it—over and over again
- Become the #1 destination for customers and potential
customers—and get this done on a tiny budget
- Master the 10 email techniques that increase readership and
- Integrate social media and content to boost your website traffic
- Generate leads for your organization by writing must-read
white papers for your customers
- Build a subscription list of customers, the media and key
influencers and keep them coming back for more
- Measure the success of your content strategy